Monday, 17 January 2011

Pickled Eggs and Be Prepared Challenge

by Gavin from The Greening of Gavin.

What do you do when you have so many eggs, that you can't give them away.  Well you pickle them of course! The first batch I ever made is long gone now, but you can see them top right in this photo.
Preserves

When I have a glut of eggs and they are a few weeks old, this is how I preserve them so they last a bit longer.  They taste absolutely divine with a bread and butter cucumbers and a sharp cheddar cheese.
Here is how I make them.  I found the recipe in a very old pickling book from the library a couple of years ago (sorry, can’t remember the title of the book).
Pickled Eggs

12 hard boiled eggs, shelled and cooled
2.5 cups white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon pickling spice
small piece of orange rind, about 5cm long
3 cloves garlic, peeled


Prepare the eggs.  Place the vinegar, pickling spice, orange rind and garlic in a saucepan.  Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and leave until mixture is completely cold.
Meanwhile, put eggs in clean, sterilised jars with a screw lid.  When the vinegar is cold, strain it over the eggs, making sure they are completely covered with liquid.  Screw the lids on tightly and store for at least 6 weeks to allow the flavour of the pickled eggs to develop. 

Enjoy on their own or with cheese and pickled cucumber for an authentic Ploughman's lunch.
I hope you get a chance to whip up a batch.  I really like them.





Oh, and while I am here, don't forget to pop on over and have a look at the 'Be Prepared Challenge' over at my blog that I am conducting in conjunction with another blogger friend dixiebelle for the next 4 weeks.  This challenge is in response to requests for more information about emergency preparedness, and to help raise awareness that we can all be a little bit more prepared for the worst in these troubled times.

Gav